Friday, June 1, 2012

Asparagus Salad




So I picked up two bundles of asparagus with the help of coupons earlier in the week but only just got around to using them last night.  To make an asparagus salad.

I found a recipe on Pinterest (my obsession, second only to Diet Coke).  But I forgot to pick up a few key ingredients.  So I just sort of did my own thing.  And ooooh hot diggity dog was it a success!  This will be a new summer favorite for sure.

Again, please note that I made this on a whim.  With ingredients I happened to have around the house.  You can certainly add and subtract ingredients as you see fit.  If you don't like something, just leave it out.  

Asparagus Salad:

Ingredients:
* 2 bundles of fresh asparagus
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 tbls Greek yogurt or sour cream or mayo
* 1 tbls orange juice
* 2 tbls lemon juice
* a few cranks of the pepper mill
* 1 tsp. minced garlic
* 1 tsp. brown mustard
* 1 tbls soy sauce
* 1 pinch brown sugar
* 4 oz feta cheese (plain or herbed)

Directions:

* Fill a large pot with water and bring to a simmer. 
* Snap ends off asparagus.  They snap naturally at the spot between tender and not tender.  So snapping is better than randomly cutting. 

* Once all ends are snapped, cut asparagus into bite size pieces (1-2" long).

* Blanch asparagus in simmering water.  So drop them all in and let them be for no more than about 2 minutes.  Then either immerse them into ice cold water or drain them and run the cold tap over them to stop the cooking process.

* In a mason jar, add all of the ingredients except for the asparagus and the cheese.  Twist on lid and shake, shake, shake. 

* In a bowl, toss together cold asparagus, dressing mix and crumbled feta (plain or herbed are both tasty) together well.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

I seriously had to stop myself from eating the entire bowl by myself.  Crazy fast and easy but a totally fun take on a side salad.



No comments: