Friday, June 1, 2012
So I picked up two bundles of asparagus with the help of coupons earlier in the week but only just got around to using them last night. To make an asparagus salad.
I found a recipe on Pinterest (my obsession, second only to Diet Coke). But I forgot to pick up a few key ingredients. So I just sort of did my own thing. And ooooh hot diggity dog was it a success! This will be a new summer favorite for sure.
Again, please note that I made this on a whim. With ingredients I happened to have around the house. You can certainly add and subtract ingredients as you see fit. If you don't like something, just leave it out.
* 2 bundles of fresh asparagus
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 tbls Greek yogurt or sour cream or mayo
* 1 tbls orange juice
* 2 tbls lemon juice
* a few cranks of the pepper mill
* 1 tsp. minced garlic
* 1 tsp. brown mustard
* 1 tbls soy sauce
* 1 pinch brown sugar
* 4 oz feta cheese (plain or herbed)
* Fill a large pot with water and bring to a simmer.
* Snap ends off asparagus. They snap naturally at the spot between tender and not tender. So snapping is better than randomly cutting.
* Once all ends are snapped, cut asparagus into bite size pieces (1-2" long).
* Blanch asparagus in simmering water. So drop them all in and let them be for no more than about 2 minutes. Then either immerse them into ice cold water or drain them and run the cold tap over them to stop the cooking process.
* In a mason jar, add all of the ingredients except for the asparagus and the cheese. Twist on lid and shake, shake, shake.
* In a bowl, toss together cold asparagus, dressing mix and crumbled feta (plain or herbed are both tasty) together well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
I seriously had to stop myself from eating the entire bowl by myself. Crazy fast and easy but a totally fun take on a side salad.