Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Dinner #2: Lettuce Wraps
As we continue on the road to happy tummies, our next stop is lettuce wraps. Ala PF Chang's. This was another quick, easy and yummy meal. And so flexible because you can add in a variety of ingredients based on what you have around the house. For example, next time I will add rice. But I completely forgot this time- ha. You could also add extra veggies. I added a few extra tablespoons of broccoli and black beans (jumping an ocean, I know!) from last night because I needed to use them up. You can add peanuts or So flexible! This is another gluten and dairy free dish than can easily be vegan too.
* 1 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
* 1 cup cooked rice
* 1 small onion + 3 small onions (4 total)
* 1 can bamboo shoots, drained
* 2 tbls soy sauce, plus more for dipping
* 1 tsp ground ginger
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* leftover veggies if you have them, chopped
* a few tbls water
* 1 head Ice Berg lettuce
* Finely chop 1 onion. Slice other three onions and store in tight closing container (to make sure your fridge doesn't stink) for use later this week. Tip number two in the game of do something once and benefit many times over game.
* Saute the finely chopped onion in a little EVOO until translucent.
* Once onion is cooked, add bamboo shoots, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, any extra veggies, and chicken from last night.
* Add rice and if needed, a few tbls water (or more soy- to taste).
* Peel outer layer or two of ice berg lettuce (note this was my very first time ever to buy ice berg- not a personal favorite outside of lettuce wraps). Cut out core and slice in half. Give each person several large lettuce pieces to use as wraps.
* Serve with a little soy sauce (add hot sauce or ginger if so desired) and enjoy!