Saturday, May 12, 2012

What's For Dinner? Chicken Un-Fried Rice

I make this very simple little dinner fairly frequently.  Probably at least once a month.  It's one of the many dishes I refer to as "not for company" because as Ina would say, it looks like a dog's breakfast.  But I promise, there's nothing but yum about this dish.  So tasty, so fast to throw together, so flexible to use up leftovers, so inexpensive, and so good the next day if you make enough for leftovers which of course I always do.  So that was a long sentence!
 
Anyhoo...this dish is even better if you are like me and do things like freeze cooked rice and cooked chicken and always have frozen veggies on hand.  For kicks, I thought I might do something different.  Show you the price breakdown of the dish.  I don't like to admit that I rarely think about the total cost of anything I make.  Which is good because I tend to use a lot of wicked expensive ingredients (like all of my GF flours).  But sometimes it's good to figure these things out.  It reminds me that not only is it often faster to cook at home, but it is nearly always less expensive. 

You should note that I have a ton of frozen veggies in my freezer that were free with coupons.  But if you are not a couponer, you should certainly be able to get a big bag for $1.  I buy eggs for $0.99/dozen or less.  I probably over-estimate the cost of chicken but tried to keep it average for not couponers.  I use the grocery store rotisserie chickens, shred several and keep portions in the freezer.  I would say this serves two to four.

Ingredients:
* EVOO
* 4 cups cooked rice
* 4 eggs
* a few splashes of milk
* 1-2 bags frozen veggies or a combo of leftovers
* 1/4 chicken shredded or a combo of leftovers
* seasoning (salt, pepper, soy sauce)






Directions:
* In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and any seasoning you like. 
* In a non-stick pan, scramble eggs.
* In a large pan, add EVOO, frozen veggies (still frozen) and chicken.  Once all is hot, add rice and season to taste using soy sauce (great time to use up the little packs that come from take-out orders), pepper and salt (sparingly- soy is salty).  Add eggs and mix.
* Serve hot!





Price break down:

Rice          $0.32
Eggs          $0.33
Veggies     $0.00
Chicken     $1.50
EVOO      $0.10
Milk          $0.10
Seasoning  $0.10

Total          $2.45







No comments: