Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What's For Dinner? Sausage And Peppers



This is my version of sausage and peppers.  But you should note that I am not even one drop Italian.  And of all the foods I crave, generally speaking, Italian is at the VERY bottom of the list.  Of course I have individual dishes I love.  Pasta though, is my "I am starving and too lazy to cook" meal. 

However, about five years ago I discovered the deliciousness of sausage and peppers at local festivals.  Um...yum!  Where has that tasty morsel been my whole life?!

So last night I created a slightly healthier, don't-give-a-hoot-if-it's-even-remotely-authentic version.  And oh it was so good!  And simple!  And very inexpensive!




Ingredients:
* Sausage of your choice (free last week from Price Chopper)
* Peppers, sliced
* Large onion, sliced
* Cooked rice
* EVOO
* Salt and pepper to taste




Directions:
* Slice onion and stick in microwave safe bowl.  Cover and microwave for about five minutes.  (A tip long ago from Bestie to seriously cut down the time it takes to cook onions)

* Add a few tablespoons of EVOO to pan and turn to med-high.

* Slice peppers. 

* Add onions to screaming hot pan.  Saute.  Once translucent, add peppers.  Cover and stir every once in a while to make sure nothing burns.

* Cut sausage into chunks.  Add to nearly cooked onions and peppers.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

* Eat over a big bowl of brown (or whatever you have on hand) rice.  Enjoy!

No comments: