Thursday, April 21, 2011

Honey Mustard Chicken And Rice

This is less of a recipe and more of a "hmmm...what's at home that I can use to make dinner tonight without running to the grocery store" meal.  But even though it's not the prettiest dish (a not-for-company-meal as I like to call them), it's super tasty and healthy.  Also, I rarely measure stuff.  So my measurements are just a guesstimate.  Use your best judgement and make it your own.




Honey Mustard Chicken and Rice

Ingredients:
* 1/4 cup honey
* 1/3 cup mustard (I use spicy brown because I LOVE mustard.)
* 1 tsp. soy sauce
* 2-3 tbls. sour cream (I use fat free.  Mayo would work great too.)
* 1-2 tbls. EVOO
* 1 large chicken breast, cut in small chunks
* 1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
* 3 half bags of frozen green veggies (I used collard greens, broccoli and peas.)
* 2 boxes/packages wild rice

Directions:
* Mix together in small bowl the mustard, honey and soy sauce.  Add cut chicken.  Cover in plastic wrap.  Go walk the dog.

* Cook the rice.

* While rice is going, add EVOO to large pan and cook chicken on med-high.  Add frozen veggies.  Add any remaining honey mustard marinade from the chicken bowl.  Once the veggies are defrosted, the rice should be ready.  Add to pan.  Mix well and cook together for another few minutes.

Enjoy!

If you are dairy free, just substitute mayo for the sour cream.  If you are vegetarian, just add an additional can of chickpeas.  Again, it's not company worthy.  But it makes a TON, is easy, low-fat, healthy, inexpensive and very yummy.

No comments: